Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Offensive chat in game

Walkinator asked if making a church of satan worship with inverted crosses get him banned?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NVUeC.png[/IMG]

Then he does a /me worships satan in a bikini.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EtWL7.png[/IMG]

He was told to stop that it was not talk for the server.  He was also told to read the rules.  That he was offending people.  He was told to drop it.  His response was.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/I4kwd.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/t33cp.png[/IMG]

I do not see this stuff as being funny or something to joke about.

NOU Maerdis!

Yeah, talking about anal, cleanliness, and the kitchen all in one message?  Maerdis, you should be ashamed.

I know, I'm so ashamed. ;_;

On a more serious note, though. He did re-read the rules and apologized afterwards. He's only human, and he was joking. I found it quite funny.

I like how your icon's eye are looking down all sad like!  Did you change your skin just for that post?  It's perfect.

Well, the rule clearly states that Uncovery is the arbiter of what is offensive and what is not.  Clearly many things will be offensive to some random individuals on the server, but we can't ban everyone every time anyone is offended by something.

You asked him to stop, and he said that he didn't think what he did was against rules, but he stopped nonetheless.  What exactly are you reporting?  That he disagreed with you on the interpretation of the rules?  That you were personally offended?

It's not patently obvious to me that this is clearly offensive behavior and he should have known better, if that's what you're getting at.

I would not of said anything but before he left he said.  "I am sorry to any satanists that I may have offended."  That is taking one last jab.  That is not being sorry that is being sarcastic about it.  I had said I was offended.  Is he saying that I am a satanist?  I did not get screenshots of all the chat but this went on for a bit on him saying that he did not think it broke the rules.  When the subject was changed to talking about pancakes by other people he kept it up.  He was even told by others to drop it and he did not.  From screenshot 2 and 3 I had use up 10 signs on my build.  That took at least 5 minutes or more to do and during this time he had not dropped it.  If he was really sorry he would of said something of the way of "I am sorry." and then dropped it.

Rule # 23 states.

No off-topic debates on the server. If you cannot agree with someone on religion, politics or whatever else subjective topic you better keep it for yourself or at least away from the game and website. Give the person your phone number and discuss properly or, if you have to, /msg each other.

I have seen when the word Obama is even mentioned that there is no chance for that person to say more.  People jump on him and tell him that there is no talking about politics.  No even as a joke.  So how is saying that one is worshiping Satan not covered.  That is about religion and even if a joke is worse then talking about politics. Screen shot 3 shows that XMagumX asked him if he read the rules about being offensive.  So I was not the only person saying anything.  He was annoying more then just one random individual.

Thank about this.  What if a parent was looking over their kids shoulder when screenshot 1 happened?  I look over at my daughter's computer often when she is on something that I am not on.  If I saw something like this on her face book page I would of told her to get off.

I never said that he should be ban but should talk like this be going on on the server.  I will point out #1 on the top of the rules under TLDR.  It is the very first thing listed.  Do not annoy people, by what you ask, say, or build.

To put a point on the debate (in case there is one):

asking if doing X should be always OK unless it becomes a sport to ask the same thing over and over again, in excessive detail or in excessive variations. As long as the asker drops the topic on request that is fine with me. As Azkedar said, it is hard to make a clear line between what is offensive and what not.

Normally we ask all religious and political topics to be discussed over by phone/in person directly with interested people instead of having a place the server, be it in builds or talk. Religious symbols of whatever kind are not liked on the server. However I do not brand a cathedral a religious build by default. If it had crosses all over I would. This is a minecraft server and not a missionary station, no matter of which denomication.

VixenGold, my post overlapped with yours. I did not see yours when I posted mine. So here my answers for your comments specifically:

In general you are right. from your screenshot I assumed that the offending conversation was completely in your screenshots. You should have mentioned that more explicitly.

I do think that is was good to tell him to stop talking about this. I do not think that it was bad enough to ban him. A repetition of this might result in a ban however.

Darn, I guess I'll have to tear down my second contest entry; a giant statue of a certain religious prophet.  Then again, I am a non profit Sock.  So It worked out in the end.

This is my view: We built a big cathedral in the city and its pretty cool. It has one or two crosses and im fine with that. I think building a synagouge, temple, mosque, or church of satan should be fine. If it bugs you, dont look at it or talk about it. If it truly is offensive, then it should be taken down. Go ahead and build a religious house if you want, just dont go flaunt it around to annoy people. Im sure there are at least a fewe Jews, Muslims, Aethiests, Christians, etc. on the server. Why cant we build it? Outta sight, outta mind.

TL;DR: i think as long as its not TOO offensive of flaunting (lol?) it should be fine to build it.

A "dark worship" for creepers or virtual stuff is OK. Inverted crosses are NOT. They specifically are anti-something and not pro-something.