Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Crazy Idea... Needs Uncovery Approval

Heya Everyone,

Myself and AlHannibal were talking yesterday, and he came up with a fantastic idea. Wouldn't be cool if we could continue building on the temp server once Uncovery updates the entire server to 1.8? Well, how about if Uncovery makes the temp world downloadable? I know I speak for others (and me) when I say we've put a fair bit of effort into some of our buildings and mining, etc, on the temp server. So why put it to waste!

So Uncovery: Would you be open to the idea of making the temp server world downloadable once we upgrade to 1.8? Please!

HenMeister

I thought about this already since some people asked it already. There are many issues and maybe solutions to that.

a) I wont continue running it unless we install towny on it. w/o protection we only attract griefers (again). We could use it as the new towny world and copy the stuff from the kingdom over for example. Issue: 1.9 will have a different land generator again, same trouble as before. If the buildings (such as the town on the water) were all easy to copy, we could transfer it to a 1.9 world. Are they? Or are they dug into mountains and therefore not copyable?

b) I am somehow afraid that 1.8 files became REALLY large. I would only give the center chunks for download for example. Issue: 1.9 will have a different land generator again, you would have ugly borders quite nearby. I wont give some gigabytes for download to a whole group of people. If I give it out to only one person, then to whom? There is no fair process in that. So it will be a small(er) world with ugly borders around it. I am not sure that that is what you guys want.

c) I installed this world for testing so people can try out the new features. If point (a) makes it unreasonable to host it at uncovery, I am having a bit of an issue with giving it out. why? I spend literally thousands of hours in the last 12 month to keep the community together. I am not sure why I would rip out and outdated part of the server and give it away so someone can rip away a part of the community out and start his own server with it. If others create a better server, fine with me. I am not sure why I should split my own loyal userbase in half.

convince me that either of the 3 above points does not make sense and I will give it out for download.

C.)

You would not be ripping apart the community at all, at least in my opinion. The reason I want it (and others) would be to either simply explore what others made, expand off their ideas, and continue our little projects in a SSP environment. But if you truly believe it would split our user base, I wouldn't want you to upload it/share it either. I love this community too much and one of the major reasons I come back day after day is because of the people.

And to be perfectly honest, I don't think any of us would want to start our own server. You have a 24/7, lag-free, protected, white-listed server, where else would I want to go? No where!

I sure don't want to leave, Uncovery is the best server out there!

Well, azkedar, we were talking about putting it up for a download, not keep that server as the main Uncovery server, so the "non-legit" factor is up to you whether you DL the map or not. However, being that the map has been explored, the file size is getting extremely large and would be difficult to offer a download for it.

Hi Al, yeah, I was speaking to uncovery's point (a) about possibly running it at the server. What I said doesn't apply to making it downloadable. Sorry if I seemed to jump to gun there.