Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Towny Anyone? (Petition, Kind Of, But Less Pushy)

Hi everyone,

So kingdom was discontinued. Personally I really like Towny, and I see that they updated for 1.2.4 yesterday, so the plugin may still work. The big question is: Is anyone else interested in doing a new city under towny with a map generated under 1.2?

Basically, the problem I see is that people treat kingdom like another set of personal lots, but that's not what it's good at. It should really be used for collaborative builds. If we get towny back, I'll start a new town, and ask for help in planning it. The idea will be for each bit we plan, the build -must- be a collaboration. Rather than each person doing their own large structure, you would need to work with at least one other player to do a build in my (our) town.

I know there seemed to be interest in pinebenj's proposed heaven/hell city. Is anyone interested in continuing along those lines? I think we'd start with one or the other, rather than do both. If we only get to finish one, at least it'll be nice. :)

But again, back to the main question: I don't want to annoy unc with asking for him to manage the kingdom world if there isn't that much interest. So, who is interested in doing this? Please reply in this thread if you would contribute (e.g. do a coop build) in a town.

Thanks!

How about something like a 4x4 (or whatever) block in empire in which all the Elders are primary owners. That way, they can add and remove people at will. It seems like a low-unc-maintenance substitution of Towny. One less plug-in, one less world.

Sockso, I think that makes a lot of sense. I also think we should do it on a timed basis. Say, we pick a theme and we build what we can for 1 or maybe 2 months. That way we will (hopefully) only try to start what we can finish in that time frame.

i'd do a coop build.

I'm rather indifferent when it comes to re-instating towny. Drawing from my own personal experience, it was fairly difficult to motivate users, and get them interested in doing a town project.(With the exception of a few) The project we began also took a total of 6 months to complete, due to the lack of manpower.

Although there were many complications with towny, it did lead us to produce a massive 500x300 metropolis. It also allowed for collaborative building projects with small groups of people, and the construction of several unique buildings.

The Bottom line is there are many drawbacks, and many advantages to having the towny plugin. Though until we have an increased server population, I doubt many people will show interest in pursuing and sticking with a project such as this. However if you were able to mobilize and motivate a group of people, I would be all for towny getting re-installed; but until then, I personally don't see the need.

Key words being, "Until then"

If uncovery brings it back, I'd love to use some architectural designs and ideas I've developed over the past few moths. From either school or my self

Ben really nailed it on the head. However, I do believe that the server should have a Towny based world, in a sense.

I would be really open to the idea of a Kingdom world, where this is only ONE forever expanding town. The more towns in Kingdom that are added, only splits the amount of users there are in Kingdom, which is the oppositie of what we are trying to achieve. I believe the addition of one town/city/whatever would be ideal, as it would generate a larger number of users and not split them all up into different, smaller cities. There should not be any sole seeking goals in the Kingdom, just large ideas purposed (in the forums?) and voted and agreed on, and all worked on together. That is what Rome did so well. Generally, most people know what Rome is, it's architecture, etc. There was a certain freedom given to the users on what to build, but there was a fine line between what was allowed and what was not. When all was said and done, there was one awesome giant city that came out. This concept can be applied to many different things, even things like Uncovery's Death Star. Imagine 20 users all working together on that thing. Imagine how awesome it would turn out. Just imagine.

tl;dr One city/goal/project at a time. X amount of dedicated users working towards one group goal.

Another option
2x2 or 3x3 skyland lots would be a large space.

I like the positives that came from Kingdom, as were pointed out above... and I agree with Henry's point about Towny dividing people. I think Magnum has another point, that a Towny controlled world may not be the only option. Keep in mind, you can add people to your own lots, even skylands. Although, a large collaborative build may not fit in a lot. Perhaps if we could simplify Towny down to just purchasing the 25x25 lots as needed, to help control spread, and reset the size if/when the structures are copied to city and then broken down (or a small period after the copy). There also may be a simpler way to use WorldGuard (as we do already for lots) and Unc's web interface to purchase space for a large collaborative build. Perhaps even donation-based increases so anyone could add 1k gold worth of land to the build whenever. Not sure about the details, just a thought.

I'm not a big fan of losing Towny/Kingdom and Flatlands at the same time. Seems to cut out a lot of options for those of us who aren't as big a fan of survival as the rest of us. ;-)

It doesn't matter to me how it's implemented. Hen's idea, mag's, lva's, all could work great. What matters though, as ben said, is that there is interest in participating. I don't really see a whole lot of interest in this thread, so he's probably right. Oh well.