We have the following situation now:
- 1.8.1 is out and reasonably stable
- Bukkit recommended build is out so plugins can be updated for that.
- Worldedit/worldguard is also working fine to protect the skylands and the normal world, towny should be ready very soon. Portals also work more or less….
- 1.9 prerelease is almost public (will come within the next 5 hours)
- Most of the other plugins are not updated yet. Some of the authors might not even update until 1.9 is out – who knows
So either we keep everything as it is for the normal server at 1.7.3 and continue updating the temp server with 1.9 beta- meaning new world, no plugins
Advantage of this option: stable 1.7.3 environment with all plugins, shops etc.
Disadvantage: You have to choose between an old version and a pre-release. No stable environment for the current 1.8.1 although it works reasonably well
we move the current world to 1.8.1, using only whatever plugins and worlds work and then and generate a new map for the temp server under 1.9
Advantages of second option: Everyone can use the 1.8 features, right now and continue building on stuff in the normal world at least
Disadvantage: Stuff like minecarts, shops and other things wont work for anyone anywhere anymore until the plugins are updated for 1.8.1.
Please note that it is NOT an option to run 3 servers parallel with all 3 versions.
So my decision is to reinstate the temp world on the temp server and then upgrade the 1.7.3 server to 1.8.1 with all plugins that work when I have time tomorrow morning (in 12 hours from now or so). Then i will also upgrade the temp server to 1.9 pre-release so people can fool around with that one if they like.