Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A New Aether/Kingdom Style 1.17 Lot World?

I know we lost the Aether awhile back and have been looking for replacements, but 1.17 looks really cool and I think it'd be fun to be able to build with the new caves, cliffs and more as lots. I know in the past we've updated the empire with new generation, but I think it'd be awesome to have aether or kingdom-sized lots to create larger or group builds in the caves and mountains. I think this would be great for attracting new users and also help in the empire not break up the landscape too much.

If we do go this route - here's a few thoughts I had:

• I really like the concept of buying lots and I do think 10k is too cheap for a lot - but also the exponential pricing is a little insane when it becomes 2 million a lot.
  • I do like the concept of road lots - but maybe make those so anyone that is citizen or architect or above can have building rights to all of them instead of being claimed?

I like the idea.

Definitely feasible. We will of course have a new darklands with 1.17

But to have a lot-world with 1.17 makes sense as well. I want to stick to the exponential pricing since we had people who were hoarding lots. we can rather think about capping the max price, but we cannot have everyone occupy 10 lots because they like the biome, but never build anything.

The issue with public road lots is that you then cannot make builds that span two main lots. How do you think this can be solved?

riedi73 and Stayen have reacted to this post.
riedi73Stayen

I like the idea. We could sell the lots but at the same time have a max number of lots based on the user level as well. Citizen max 2 lots, designer max 4, master 8, elder 16. Or something like that. We could also do the public roads but maybe have them around 4 lot squares so large builds are still possible. Just some ideas.

We could sell the lots but at the same time have a max number of lots based on the user level as well.

That's what we used to have. High-level people started to complain that it's not enough and that they don't know what to do with their money. So we started charging for the lots instead.

...we can rather think about capping the max price, but we cannot have everyone occupy 10 lots because they like the biome, but never build anything.

I think a price cap might be nice, maybe at 100k per lot? That'd be just under 150 days of income by voting - without counting all the additional uncs you can win as prizes and such.

The issue with public road lots is that you then cannot make builds that span two main lots. How do you think this can be solved?

That's a good question. Either place road lots every 2 lots so each lot still has access to a road on 2 sides and can build a 2x2 build if desired - or - not have roads at all - or - I think it'd be reasonable for if you own all adjacent lots to a road - that you can build your build in that area but know it doesn't come with lot protections?

regarding the road lots, there is the option to make all road lots "free to build" - until someone buys the main lot next to them. That would be some work to program, but possible. We could introduce the same in the kingdom then.

The question regarding the prices would be if we cap the prices for all lots, including the kingdom, refund the money but the price of lots would not be per-world but global. I.e. if you have 10 lots in kingdom, you don't start with the minimum price in the 1.17 world but rather the same price as if you had 10 lots in the new world.

And anyhow: what would be the name for that world?

regarding the road lots, there is the option to make all road lots "free to build" - until someone buys the main lot next to them. That would be some work to program, but possible. We could introduce the same in the kingdom then.

That's doable - I just didn't want this to be too much more work to you but I really like that idea - this way we don't have to claim lots to actually build roads and rails and worry about them resetting if a user leaves.

The question regarding the prices would be if we cap the prices for all lots, including the kingdom, refund the money but the price of lots would not be per-world but global. I.e. if you have 10 lots in kingdom, you don't start with the minimum price in the 1.17 world but rather the same price as if you had 10 lots in the new world.

I'm open to either but global pricing seems more fair - so long as the prices aren't unobtainable.

And anyhow: what would be the name for that world?

With some of the high mountains and such I was thinking Acropolis but I'm really open

Does a new world really need street and corner lots?

Lots may just have same size then in kingdom. 2, 4, 8 and 16 per user level and those for global prizes. Might be 100k per lot with option of dips for furthers.

The Name, go with the topic and possibly call it Clifflands or Cavelands :)

Regarding the price cap of a kingdom main lot, 100k is faaar to low. If you look at the current list of lot ownership and the pricing, you already step over the 100k mark at the 2nd lot, and we have a VERY long list of people owning more than 10 lots.

I'd rather look into limiting it somewhere in the high millions of Uncs since every lot you have gives you a lot of additional resources to sell in the market.

Regarding the street/corner lots, maybe we can do away with the corner lots? Possibly even in the kingdom? The process of getting rid of them in the kingdom might be a bit of work, but possible.

Another option is to have street lots always only every 2nd lot. So you can have a block of 4 main lots and that one is surrounded by street lots. This would reduce the number of street lots by half, but you still had every lot touched by street lots on 3 sides.

Regarding the name, maybe "terra nova" or something along that line?

Just some comment why I am fine that lots are expensive (more than 1Mio Uncs):

The effect will be that a lot of people want to buy their own lot and start mega-projects, often even 2x2 lot clusters - by themselves. The result will be a lot of them give up and simply leave because they realize that their expectations overshot reality. Or there will be just a lot ruin sit around forever - we still have some of them around from the time when lots were cheaper.

If they instead contribute to someone else's lot we get better projects going and at the same time have nicer builds.

riedi73 and Wraithius_ have reacted to this post.
riedi73Wraithius_

For pricing: I think that’s fair. Maybe an option to trade in old kingdom lots for the new world is in store? I’m guilty in Kingdom lot hoarding from back then as well. Most of them were when I was in high school and uni and I didn’t realize how much time real life actually takes then. I’d be happy to even do a 2:1 trade honestly.

For roads: I do like the every 2 lots approach. I think that may incentivize nice road design. Though I’m okay without them as well, but I just like the idea of being able to have dedicated areas to build cross-lot transit without worrying about random gaps of subway or road that a reset sometimes leaves.

I really love Terra Nova

Lot trade-in should be fine, need to see how I can do that in the lot manager, maybe we do that manually, I'll have to see which one is less work.

LukeCreative has reacted to this post.
LukeCreative

Or "Terra Alta" (high land), as something similar.

The original name reminds me of an album "Aether Shanties" (Abney Park), one of my favorite. However, the closest match to "aether shanties" would be Skyblock.

LukeCreative has reacted to this post.
LukeCreative

Well now with the updates separating... I propose this happen in 1.18 and not 1.17 - but still - I'm excited to see where this goes!

As fun as Terra Alta is to say, I will propose "Estates" as it falls in line with the current Empire and Kingdom naming convention and makes my OCD happy.

riedi73 and Stayen have reacted to this post.
riedi73Stayen