Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Banned? What exactly was I griefing???

So I tried to log in today and discovered that I have been banned for griefing.   I would like to know just exactly what I was "griefing", as I am fully aware that this is a peaceful, non-griefing server.  I understand that there are no second chances, which SUCKS, but I would still like to know what I did wrong!

Guys,

I make the rules, I decided it was worth a ban, I banned.

That's it.

Several people lately have been giving the boot for griefing in the Darklands.  Maybe you did some of that thinking you would not get caught?

source 1: http://uncovery.me/forums/topic/grief-report-time-again-and-sleepystrangekid-caught-them-in-action/

source 2: http://uncovery.me/forums/topic/more-griefing-in-darklands/

anymore information you would like to read:

http://uncovery.me/forums/users/vixengold/topics/

You destroyed a whole bunch of redstone lamps in the darklands along with other smaller stuff (wooden floors etc)

I'm sorry, but I sure don't recall destroying ANY redstone lamps.  I  And if you are referring to the wooden floors in the sheep farm, a creeper got me in there and blew up a corner of one of the cages, and I replaced the glass blocks with dirt I think, because that was all I had.  I did not intentionally destroy anything in the darklands.  Your answer is very non-specific.

I run logblock and it lists that you destroyed 5 redstone lamps in the darklands w/o replacing them. It is non-specific because I do not have the time to list the coordinates to you. What do you expect?

can i predict the next excuse is "oh, my friend was totally playing my profile"?

No Scarovese, that would be pretentious and incorrect.  I am not making any excuses.  It took a long time to find this server, and I really enjoyed it.  I had no idea I was "griefing" in the Darklands.  No warnings whatsoever for "griefing"... what a fucking waste of time.

The language was uncalled for.

So you are saying that you saw all the building going on in the darklands and thought that it was OK to destroy.   Read the following and learn.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Griefing   Griefing is the act of irritating and angering people in video games through the use of destruction, construction, or social engineering. Popularized in Minecraft by teams, griefing has become a serious problem for server administrators who wish to foster building and protect builders.

You was destroying what people built.  Redstone lamps do not form naturally.  They are made by people and then placed.  News flash.  All those builds are not natural.  They have been built by people.  You knew this and yet you willingly took what was not yours.  For you to say that you have no idea that you was griefing and expect for us to believe this.  1. You was stupid to grief. 2. You are stupid to think we believed that you did not know that it was bad.

Learn from this and on the next server you get on find your own resources.  Do not take from others.  If you are too lazy to get your own stuff then you do not need to be playing on a server.  We do not build stuff so jerks can take it down to use the stuff for their own builds.  We do not give hand outs.  We do not hold you hand while you build.  People on here earn their stuff.  They either go out and find it or use in game money to buy.  AND we do not tolerate griefers.

And yes what a waste of our time to respond to your whining that you did nothing wrong.  Go away little boy and play with your Legos.  This is not the server you are looking for.

Griefing brings negativity to our server.  So do condescending tongue-lashings.  Nobody benefits from a flame war.  And arguing on the internet rarely results in a resolution.

-tick tocks- Look at the time! It's time for a tea party!

Vixen, to reiterate what I said previously, I do not recall destroying any redstone lamps, nor have I intentionally destroyed anything else on the server that was built by other players.  I clearly understood the rules when I joined, and yes - no one has time for jerks who go around taking stuff that they didn't work for.  I did not do that.  I do not expect anyone to "believe that I didn't think I was doing anything bad".  I am saying I did not intentionally grief.  The admin says I was, he hasn't shown any proof - whatever.  As for telling me to "go away little boy", I'm not a little boy, and being called names by an illiterate, jumping-to-conclusions idiot is not going to magically make me go away.  I don't know what makes you think that you even have a clue as to what happened!

By now I've learned that the only responses I'm going to get on this subject are a bunch of whiny, uptight babies yelling that I'm making excuses and trying to play victim.

Everybody, lets end this thread please. It's not going to get any better commenting back and forth. Bans are permanent. Sorry. The end.

How many times has Darklands reset now?  Banning someone for griefing an area that resets seems extreme to me.  Creepers destroy blocks in Darklands.  If a creeper sneaks up on me in spawn and blows up am I now obligated to repair the damage?  Taking or breaking an enderchest is a no brainer, but all the builds at Darkland spawn are just trapping Uncovery into a management job that he has worked hard to stay out of.  He should not have to do this.  Build on a protected lot.  There are many options.  Crying to Uncovery every time a block goes missing?  Hmm, I think he deserves better.

If you haven't managed a server, you should try it.  You would better understand the work you are creating for the owners.

In response to Sleeping_Owl, I do not agree with most of your statement.  The definition of griefing is, "a player in a multiplayer video game that purposely irritates and harasses other players." By removing blocks from other peoples buildings (in an unprotected area or not) is both irritating and harassment.  This in itself is considered griefing as they are aware that they did not build it.  In regards to the creeper, leading a creeper within the proximity of the build with full intentions to destroy it, is a bannable offence.

I also have a few quotes from Uncovery that will make the Darklands griefing a bit more clear to you.

An announcement post:

http://gyazo.com/48054efe33f9c04ab4511e058f256a8e

Uncovery made a clear and concise announcement stating that he would like Darklands griefing reported to him.

Uncovery's post on this topic:

"I run logblock and it lists that you destroyed 5 redstone lamps in the darklands w/o replacing them. It is non-specific because I do not have the time to list the coordinates to you. What do you expect?"

The part that says "it lists that you destroyed 5 redstone lamps in the darklands w/o replacing them." is key to the post.  Snuffleupugus removed 5 redstone lamps (which were not his) and did not replace them.  He/she did this knowing that they were not his/hers.

Uncovery posting within the forums:

"Btw by now I consider the darklands spawn as some kind of honeypot. If people think they can do the obvious, then I will find them now and ban them, undo the damage and we move on. If it becomes too frequent, we will have to see how we move on."

Original post: http://uncovery.me/forums/topic/more-griefing-in-darklands/#post-9098-

If Uncovery is supporting us to report the grief and is using it "as some kind of honeypot" then I do not see why this statement makes sense; "Crying to Uncovery every time a block goes missing?  Hmm, I think he deserves better."

If Uncovery did not want to do this and "deserves better" then Uncovery would make things better for him.  He takes pride in this server and has raised it to be what it is today.  He most likely does not want griefers roaming about his server. Clearly we have two different opinions on the matter.  I just felt that it was necessary for me to show you that Uncovery himself is supporting the grief reports and is banning the griefers.
I hope I was able to shed some light on the other side of things.

The darklands does get reset but not every month.  It goes several months before it gets reset.  Sleeping owl if u read past forums you will see that Uncovery uses that area as a honeypot.  Uncovery did not get pulled into it.  He does not want griefers on his server.  We do not need people that grief other builds, even in areas that are not protected.  Many times it has been new players that decide to grief the area.  If someone is going to damage someone's build then they are apparently a trouble maker and are not wanted on this server.

The city at the Darkland's spawn is an area where several people decided to build together.  It looks real nice.  People put in their time, effort, and material to make the area look good.  No one has the right to take or destroy someone else's builds.  There is a zombie spawner that has been worked so people can get xp.  There is and enchanting table.  There is a potion making area.  There are 2 farms that grows all the different foods on Minecraft.  There is ever a few tree farms.   This is not just an area to build.  This is an area that has helped many people.  There are enderchests in the area so one does not have to drop one to get their items.  They were disappearing sometimes every day.  I think over 20 were taken.  Once the person was discovered and kicked it has stopped.

When I was looking at lot of servers, before I found Uncovery, some places had a "Darklands".  It was horrible.  Looked like a war went on in the area.  It was hard to walk some where and not fall into a hole.  One had to go very, very far to find any thing.   That was a real big turn off.  It is nice to have a safe area to walk around as you go out or come in.  Our Darklands area looks real good.  Guests that come in and see will be impress.  Having a messy area will more likely chase them off.

As for creepers.  I have noticed several times people pulling creepers into the spawn area. Creeper explodes.  Person looks, picks up blocks and does nothing to even try to fix the damage.  Some of us are constantly fixing these holes.  It would be nice if those that caused them to explode would help.  There is a building with repair material in the spawn area.  Sometimes someone gets bad lag and accidentally does a bit of damage.  It would be nice to fix what you break.

We do not go and "cry" to Uncovery every time a block goes missing.  We have several times fixed a block here and there that has gone missing.  We do post on the forum when several blocks go missing.  When Uncovery has free time he finds out who and bans them.  It is not often that it happens.  Maybe once a week or so.

Griefers have been caught in the act and get instant ban from an Elder that was on.  Then the damage was fixed.  One time several of us spent 3 hours fixing the damage that was caused by griefers.  Not only were the griefers destroying and placing random blocks they were also pulling in creepers to do damage also.

We take pride on how Uncovery looks, EVERY WHERE.  Our personal lots and in the Darklands.  We try to make the place look as good as possible every where.

One more thing Owl.  Who are you?  I am on every day for several hours and do not remember ever seeing you before.  Before you whine that stuff build on non-protected areas should be a free for all you need to look and see what is going on.  Read past forums.  Look at the effort that people have done to make the Darklands look real nice.  See what is actually going on before you start blasting on stuff you know nothing about.

Stop arguing about it here. We will not discuss this topic any further. Whats done is whats done.

I agree with Hiosa. Let's all just calm down a bit, and stop arguing over such minute, irrelevant details of a presumably,  very simple ban. Now to be honest, I do not tolerate griefers, and i'm sure most people here don't either; this issue, however should not be the discussion topic every single week. Is a post to the forums about a darklands grief every few days really necessary, when Uncovery is the only one who can confirm what happened? Perhaps to avoid further controversy, next time you could just email him? This will allow users to more easily take a look at interesting forum topics, without having to scroll through six hundred "Why am I banned" posts.