Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Blender rendering help please!

Hi guys,

MC_Crinkle here again! I'm hard at work getting all these awesome blender renders done for the server, I just have one really REALLY big enemy at the moment, and that is the speed of my computer! So I thought, why not get the community to help me? Basically I need to do the equivalent of borrowing your computer at idle moments. I have all these scenes that area ready and just need to actually be rendered, but it takes a long time, or a lot of CPU power.

To put this in perspective for you, i have an AMD 6-core 1055T processor overclocked to 3.1Ghz per core (18.6Ghz total power). Some scenes take only a minute or so to render, and I can set it going, go to sleep, come back the next morning and its done, or nearly done. But others are more complex and can take upwards of 15 minutes per frame. And in a 500 frame animation, that takes a hella long time to render! If anyone wants to see a finished product before christmas, I'm probably going to need some help!

How it'd work is, you install blender on your computer, I send/email you over the blender file, and you just get your computer to render the images, and then zip them up (it wont save space but it'd easier to manage as one archive rather than 500 images). And upload them to a specific place. Then i download them and add them to the finished project. Of course, you will be credited as render farmers extraordinaires!

Anyone who is interested, it'd be great if you could fulfill these requirements:

Have a multi-core (ideally 4 cores or more) processor.
Have at least 8GB of ram, more would be even better.
Have internet that isnt likely to crap out half way through a large upload (and good upload speed of course).
Be able to leave it running on your computer for a large amount of time (overnight/or over a few nights/or over a few days).

During the render times your computer may respond very sluggishly or not at all. It CAN be run in the background if you reduce the numbers of cores, but then of course, will take a lot longer. Video card doesnt need to be great, in fact i dont think blender uses it much!

You dont need any blender experience to help out, I can easy make a quick YT video which shows you all you have to do. Essentially, its a case of opening the file, and leaving it to render.

Any help would be much appreciated to move this along faster! Please post below if you'd like to help, and include your processor type and speed, your memory amount, and how much time you think you'd be able to leave it going for.

And if anyone knows a good place where people can upload large files (like up to about 2gb) for free and others download at a nice speed, that would be really helpful!

Thanks for reading!

I am willing to help, but internet may be a problem.  At times I can get kicked from the server, but log right back in.  I know it is internet driven because my son can be on a different server and he gets kicked at the same time.  We can both log immediately back in.  We do not lose our internet when this happens.  I do not know what this implies for down or uploading large files.  We could start with relatively small files and work our way up depending upon experience.

I have multiple computers at my disposal.  The one I would use is an i7, 3.4 GHz, 16 MB Ram, 256 MB ssd, 1 TB hdd.  I have standard U.S. DSL with promised 6MBS download, but 5MBs is common, 700-800kbs upload.

Dont worry about internet intermittency. You can actually easy upload the images individually or zip/rar into many smaller archives if either of those options work better for you. Any help realising this is better than no help at all!

For anyone that is potetially interested. I created a YT video on my channel you can watch below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcMEFHGyCKw

Its quite simple and quite easy. I will get a few thumbnails of scenes that need doing so you can pick one you like if you are interested! Will hopefully post it tomorrow!

Thank you MC_Crinkle, your video is self-explanitory and easy to follow.  I am an "old dog" so I do not learn new tricks very fast.

I've downloaded and installed Blender from http://www.blender.org

I'm set up with google email:  mr.michaellittlefield@gmail.com

I will send you a message shortly with instructions and directions for you. Thanks for volunteering to help!

The progress so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNNkf9vBoeA