Forum

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGame: MegaprojectsDarkland Ingame Maps
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Darkland Ingame Maps

Darkland Ingame maps

Hello,

As some of you know or may have spotted under the Spawn island bridge, I have been busy uncovering 2 sets of maps of the Darklands spawn area:

- 1 set of 256x256 maps around spawn, including inland (forests are tricky when it's dark)
Those require 1 round of paper upgrade once the map is created.

- 1 set of 1024x1024 maps covering the main ocean and coastal areas (most of the time without getting off the boat)
Those require 3 rounds of paper upgrade (total: 24 papers) once the map is created.
The North part is mostly closed, although I admit I'm not 100% sure there's no straights or river connection to another ocean.
The Southern part still needs some exploring.
Since it turns out this ocean mostly spreads from south to north, I'll probably lay it on the side with West or East facing up, it'll be easier to look at.

For the moment both maps are oriented towards North to facilitate a good orientation from Spawn.

If anyone is willing to complete those with further exploration, please contribute.

Next on my todo list is to continue working on the southern part of the big ocean with the following areas:

x -2112/-1088 z 4032/5056
x -1088/-64 z 4032/5056
x -64/960 z 4032/5056
x 960/1984 z 4032/5056
x 960/1984 z 3008/4032

This block may also be worth exploring for a possible western extension (as indicated by a sign next to the maps):

x -4160/-3136 z 960/1984

Darkland Ingame maps

Oh man, that is so cool. I do not use the maps so I never thought of doing this. This is great. I wish we could do this for the tunnel system in the darklands.

By definition the tunnels are underground and won't appear on those, but I'm actually also working on something ;p

BTW, some of the subway safehouses appeared to me while I was doing those ocean maps above, but on those 1024x1024 each pixel represents an 8x8 block, so these buildings are reduced to 2 or 3 pixels wide and are really tough to make out from the landscape, especially if the roof is made of the material that is coherent to the environment.

Edit: it's in early stage, but here's a preview:

Subway Map in the making

The west is indeed open.

I boated around that area, and found out how far the ocean goes. Here is a picture.

If its permissible, we could collaborate using voxelmap and put together an image based map.

It surely sounds permissible and cool (this also distinguishes biomes better than the ingame map), but it won't replace the ingame maps as far as ingame display is concerned. You can include a link to a pic url (imgur for example) in a story though, which you can then put on a sign. Down in the subway station (on the southern wall) I have placed such a story sign with a link to Luke's subway map.

And it can also help to figure out how many ingame 1024 maps there are left to explore, if I can approximately guess a 1024x1204 map grid from this pic.

I did not mean to in any way detract from what you are doing .. its awesome! We could do both, and help build the in game map, and then do some voxel maps for safehouse previews and such. Lets talk :)

Here is another option in the map, it lets me put chunk grids on, that should help figure out the sizes better right?

Don't worry I felt no intention of that kind and I'm happy will the goodwill ;p

On this pic I think the red lines are the limits of the basic maps (128x128), which I'm not using. The grid info I was refering too was related to your previous pic, the one with the unexplored ocean part, and it's a lot wider grid.

If we can superpose this grid below on it then I might know how many maps are needed to cover the area.:

In any case I can take a wild guess, it looks like around 6 maps high and wide.. (edit: had to revise my estimation to the higher side, it's a big one)

How does a map you are making relate to the size of a chunk?

According to this, the level 3 zoom, which is 1024x2014 represents 64x64 chunks.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Map#Zoom_details

The red lines on my voxelmap are 16x16 -- so 4 red areas = 1 1024 map

If you want I can put a scale version of the subway map on top of VoxelMap version, if this were the case, the image must be at a 1:1 scale, and the mushroom/jungle line is quite large.