Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Empire Cross Country Racing

Hi,

I have been toying lately with the idea of organizing cross country races in the Empire, so I thought I would launch a thread here first to see if others find it interesting, and then to refine the concept so that it fits the most common interests.

First, I think the Empire is the best place to do it because it has the best biome and lots diversity in a small place, it has nice landmarks and very little water. It also has virtually no long straight pathways, which would make Kingdom races a bit boring unless you do it far from the buildings. Empire is Uncovery's basic world anyway, and I think it will be good if people hike around and stay aware of what's going on here.

General principle:

- Run from agreed point A to agreed point B (ideally, those will be unmissable landmarks, e.g Empire Spawn, Day's Tree, etc..
- Choice of route is part of the race
- Race should cross/pass by a variety of biomes and interesting owned lots

General rules:

- No railways
- No TP
- No home
- No potions
- No boats

Environmental Ethics:

- No griefing
- No interaction with passive mobs
- Leave things as found (in particular, closed doors and gates)

Basic Advise:

- Bring some food
- Do not bring valuable useless stuff
- Do not bring your best super enchanted suit, you can lose it in a ravine that will later be difficult to reach down in an unowned lot
- You may want to take basic armour and weapon but mostlikely you will just run around mobs, only receiving the occasional arrow
- Enjoy the landscape and constructions, take pics and videos :)

No strong opinion :

- Should we use strider boots?
- Should we use feather falling boots?

I'm probably missing vital aspects ;p

Next steps:

At the beginning we can try one of those races on a trust basis, and if the idea seems worth it then we can discuss with Unc the specs of a rule enforcing tool.

thanks for organizing this!

If you are worried about people cheating, you can do it in the darklands too! it becomes a survial race then as well.

Some idea:

You do 4 coordinates, and people have to go to all 4. They are not in a straight line, so there is a bit of luck involved how you chose your path. I can very easily make a command where people have to message you and their coordinates are passed along fir verification that they have been there.

I thought about the DL possibility, we could also all start from a same point, accessing it from the nether, it would be fair and there would be no possible cheating. If you are behind another concurrent you of course have the possiblity to just follow him, if you can.. but if it's a long way, the chances are that at some point or other you will feel smarter than the guy in front and try a "better" way.

Anyway I still like the idea to use these to valorize the Empire and make it more lively.. I personnally enjoy a lot visiting and discovering new lots :)

Hey Steph
Really good idea.
I'd say we only should use basic armor and weapon (type is individual). We could allow only leather chests (and dyed leather chests, if users want to run in teams).
Racing empire or kingdom would makes more fun cause of preventing damage of existing structures like spawners etc.. (by creepers) and cause of making pics and little movies of what we see on uncovery. We could stick together these to a little Gallery for the page.
I mean cheating is not a too big issue, cause who wants to, will do it anyways and the challange for serious players is (my opinion) to once cross a lot of areas and see what happens on the lots (as you mentioned) in empire/kingdom. Also there is the point of using the maps to give users more feeling for handle/use these in the future for their individual game.
Starting from the same point - i think - is a very nice idea.
Something cool as a price for everybody who participates would be cool and we could show the winner/or winning team (and 2nd and 3rd) on a table on the page - so everybody profits from a race :)

Great Idea, would be perfect for one of my videos and would love to participate!

1) I don't think Feather Falling and Depth Strider should be allowed, simply to allow "newish" users who aren't as rich to participate without being at a massive disadvantage

2) Could a button system be made that logs player names and so when people hit the button they are logged as having been there? This would go along with Uncovery's 4 coords idea.

3) We should do this race monthly, and choose different landmarks and different distances each time. I would be willing to allow the use of my lot and I'm sure many others would do the same.

Thanks guys for the feedback :)

* Colour armours are a good idea, but aren't they a bit light? The idea of armours is that you can run without actually confronting the mobs, and don't really care about arrows or an occasional spider bite. You should also be able to survive a creeper explosion. We could use leather shirt/iron rest combo.

* I hadn't thought about prices.. I'm open to anything, but it probably should be private donation in opposite to public money (= from Unc), at least while we run it on "gentlemen agreement and trust" mode.

* No strider/feather falling makes sense, for more equity.

* Video shooting of course would be a great asset. For this it would also be a lot more fun if we run in mob, as opposed to start from separate points.

One of these days we can make a quick try, starting from a remote point and running towards Empire Spawn.