Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Empire infastructure project

I saw an old thread talking about 'Collaborative Roadmaking' in Empire and it sounds like something I would love to expand upon.

The idea is to make the Empire world easy and fun to explore for new and old players alike. Uncovery is my first Multiplayer server and I am loving it, however when I got to the point of getting to Empire and walking around looking for a lot there was a lot of confusion on how things are laid out. Going South you cross several lots with a beautiful brick road and some signage. Then you hit a blocked wall... West only leads to a lot of water and no road. East is OK for a bit but tough after a while and I have yet to venture North.

At the very least there should be a main road (2 wide) every 8 lots and a minor (one wide) every 4. This way the longest walk from the road is only one lot.

I don't care if the path is nice, pretty or even marked. It needs to fit the following basic criteria:

- Easy to follow with unique path material
- Mates up with neighbors paths
- Well lit to avoid spawns
- Within ~20 blocks of average ground height
- North, South, East and West signs at major intersections

If you pick a lot that should have a road leading through it, you need to extend it. It can be in the corner, middle, or even a tunnel. Bonus additions would help show off your builds and get people out exploring:

- Stairs / half blocks to avoid jumping
- Maps showing 'You are here' on the path every few lots
- Welcome sign's at your lots entrances ( i.e. name, date joined, etc )
- Sight seeing destinations with signage to show of your builds

I think working with your neighbors will make the Empire world more attractive as well as easier to explore for new / prospective members looking for lots, imagine racing from A1 to AE32 with little worry of mobs or accidental death. I made a road on my lot (N.16) that joins N.17 and N.15 where those settlers had built connecting paths already. Did not take too long and was something to do.

I like this idea, but it will take a while until the road hits mine. Im EMP_AD10

We would also run into the problem of what to do when no one owns a lot. Then there is no one to build a road, we could have large stretches of roadless lots. Also the lots reset automatically when the user is not active for 30 days or more. As soon as that happens, poof, a section of road gone.

Its a wonderful idea and I like it. But it seems to me to be a bit unrealistic to implement.

I don't think the unowned lots will pose a problem, yes they may be difficult to cross but if there is an understanding that there will be a road along the Q line then you will find one eventually.

Also putting up signs at the end of the road would help this too.

I agree it'll be hard to setup and maintain due to unowned and reseting plots as well as people not participating. However, it still makes it nicer to get places if you can run on a road even half the time.

I've mostly gotten roads set up on my lot already, and I'm willing to help improve them with this system.