Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Failed to login: Bad Login

Hi guys and girls.

I'm posting here rather than creating a ticket because the problem I have is not with the server but the Minecraft client itself;

I am unable to reach any server and keep getting the "Error Bad Login" message. I've done a bit of browsing and as usual on the world wide web got nowhere.

- Mojang reckon it's an issue with my network provider - evidently not as I'm on the network right now and I can still use other client-based games.

- Is my Firewall preventing the connection? Definitely not. Why? Because I'm a fool and don't really have one since the subscription ran out ages ago.

- My computer is normally connected through Wifi and through LAN simultaneously. My connection status for both appears to be working fine however IPv6 connectivity is showing No Network Access (which it has been showing for at least a very long time - so long that I don't recall it saying anything different).

- I suspected that a recent Java download may have triggered this problem; I replaced the up-to-date 32bit Java for a 64bit version from Java.com to prevent the error message in the Minecraft video settings. I have been playing MC with the 64bit Java without any issues until now and have reverted back to the 32bit version. Unfortunately, the problem still occurs.

- Following advice on a different MC forum, I logged out of the MC client and logged back in - again, no luck.

- Failing to find a solution with all of the above, I shut the computer down and tried again and guess what - still no luck.

If anyone has had this issue before and knows the fix, please share it. I would really appreciate it.
Also, thanks for taking the time to read this,
Rhys :)

- Mojang reckon it’s an issue with my network provider – evidently not as I’m on the network right now and I can still use other client-based games.

OK so you talked to them arelady? So you cannot connect to ANY minecraft servers?

- Is my Firewall preventing the connection? Definitely not. Why? Because I’m a fool and don’t really have one since the subscription ran out ages ago.

What subscription? Mostoperating systems have a built-in firewall. So does linux, windows etc. Try to find out how to disable the firewall on your PC, try it, see if it changes something. If yes, there is your issue, fix it, and re-enable the firewall. Do not run for any longer time without one.

- My computer is normally connected through Wifi and through LAN simultaneously. My connection status for both appears to be working fine however IPv6 connectivity is showing No Network Access (which it has been showing for at least a very long time – so long that I don’t recall it saying anything different).

You do not need IPv6 as long as IPv4 is active. You should not need to connect via LAN and Wifi at the same time. Your LAN is 100x faster than you Wifi and both together are SLOWER than your outside connection. Disonecct your Wifi, it just makes everything more complicated, but not faster.

- I suspected that a recent Java download may have triggered this problem; I replaced the up-to-date 32bit Java for a 64bit version from Java.com to prevent the error message in the Minecraft video settings. I have been playing MC with the 64bit Java without any issues until now and have reverted back to the 32bit version. Unfortunately, the problem still occurs.

If you think the issue could be your local computer setup, try with someone else's computer. Normally the question of Java should not matter for the login. But who knows. If in doubt, remove Java once completely and re-install it.

This is definitely a Mojanag issue, and it is intermittent, but affects all non-1.7 clients. I was having the same issue yesterday, as were many others. (haven't tried today).

If you join #minecrafthelp on esper.net (here's a link to web-chat for that IRC channel), there is an automated response to every user who joins stating the following:

Non-1.7 clients are currently getting Failed: Bad Login error when trying to log into multiplayer servers. 1.7 clients are not affected. There is no ETA for a fix. Please wait patiently as Mojang fixes the issue.

. This is annoying . - AK47.

Hi Unc, thanks for replying.

I didn't speak to Mojang personally but searched their troubleshooting forum for a fix. It was under the "Bad Login" section where they stated it would be an issue with the network provider.

I have disabled the wifi but this has had no effect although I shall take your advice and use just the ethernet cable from now on.

When going through the Windows Firewall settings, I discovered that the ethernet connection was set to public rather than home. I changed this but it had no effect. Also after disabling the firewall completely the client was still unable to connect to any server.

As you predicted, after re-installing Java, the problem I am having with the client is still recurrent.

Although I'm yet to fix the problem, I appreciate your help,
Rhys

im having the same problem. i cant even chat in IRC!!! :(

Hi Azkedar,

What's the difference between the non-1.7 clients and the 1.7 client? This may seem like an obvious question but can't all releases of Minecraft be accessed from the one client?

RDStewart, not it does not work. There is neither a forward nor a backward compatibility. You have to connect with the exact same version number.

What makes this bug weird is that it comes and goes. I got it like 15 times yesterday, and an hour later I got on like nothing had happened. I've also gotten it once or twice before on some occasionsa and still gotten on a while later.

From what I named the last .exe file, I think I have been trying to play from a client I downloaded during 1.6.2 . Unfortunately, with the 1.7 client I am still unable to connect.

I guess I'll have to wait until the problem fixes itself but thanks for the help everyone! :)

You have to use the same version of client as the server you want to play on. So you can't just download the 1.7 client and play here, you could only play on 1.7 servers. 1.7 clients and servers do not have this issue.

Unfortunately this means every bukkit server (like this one) is affected, because there is still no release for 1.7 for bukkit.

Hi everyone,

The problem seems to have disappeared but thanks to everyone who replied to help. XD