Forum

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGame: MegaprojectsHuge project to plan
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Huge project to plan

There is now a protected area around the Darklands that has pink wool marking the borders.  I was thinking that a wall or fence of some sort would look nice.  I have never put together a group project together so please bare with me on this.  The project will be open to anyone that wants to help.  I took a fast glance at the borders and it is going to be a HUGE project.  The more that help the better.  All are welcomed to help.

What will be needed.

1. Brain storm on the design.  How it will look, what it will be made of.  It can be that each wall is different.  Will need gates for paths going out on the ground and skyways.

2. Who will help.  There is no time frame.  You can help a few minutes, few hours, or on all.  Every bit helps.

3. Will need a storage building to hold all the materials.

4. Donations of materials would be greatly appreciated.  Like I said.  Every bit helps.

5. Who does what.  Who wants to build and who wants to gather, also landscaping and lights.  On the building would be nice to have a plan so the walls look nice.

6. Last of all.  Need someone who is good at leading a huge group project.  I will be the first to say that I will not be good at leading.  No jokes on this please.   Please only suggest someone that has experience on large group builds. MMMMmmm  looks at pinebenj.  Hint hint.  Looks at his city walls.  Hint hint.

This will take a bit to put together so please let me know what you all think.  A wall will make it look nice and better define where the border is.  Note that the border marks where Settlers can start building and mining.  The wall will be right inside so the work they can do will be limited.  BUT gathers of materials will be needed.

Please no negative comments about this project.  I know some are not going to be happy about the darklands.  Make a new post for that.  This is for brainstorming on the project only and those that want to donate time, material, and effort on the Darkland Walls.  Lets keep this post nice.

i'll be glad too lend a hand&also donate materials needed:D

Ok already starting on the building for the materials.  The location is x 88, y 65, x 8.  If you go out from the spawn portal, take the stairs to the left.  When at bottom go straight out and follow the path around. You can not miss it.  Not finished.  Got to do some stuff in real life.  I will work on more when I get back.

Well, to start off, what do we want this wall to look like? Will it be wooden, and have a barbarianesque log cabin feel? Or should it be more like the wall of Heaven's Reach?  Or something different?  There are so many possibilities with this.  Let's get this as much feedback as we can so that we can get a good idea of some of the directions it can be taken; however, we need this question answered in a timely manner as well, if we want any progress to be made soon.

I personally think it should represent something natural, something that represents the environment, and what the darklands is for.  I think we should stay away from stone or stone brick for this.

Guys, I do not want to spoil the party, BUT I'll do it anyway:

Please, before you put a lot of work into this, I would like to make you aware that the first release candidate of MC 1.4.5 has been released yesterday. The new version will be released sometime around new year, and we will most likely upgrade the server around end of January to 1.4.5. There is a high chance that this will involve a Darklands reset. Why? There might be no new terrain features. BUT:

We have a very, very solid history of people wanting to play the new version as soon as it gets released. So we create a new temp server for the new version until we can upgrade the main server. After we upgrade to the main server, we have mass-suicides, chronic depression and separation anxiety from all the folks who loved the new map on the temp server so much. So we started with the last upgrade to use the temp server map as the new darklands. I think it is actually a good idea and we should keep doing that.

However, I really think it is great what you guys are doing there with the creation of a proper spawn for the darklands. So here is my proposal so we can meet in the middle:

We create a new spawn in a way that it can be transplanted into a new world. We either make it a floating island (in water or in air) so that we can copy it over to each new darklands we have. So we can reserve a kingdom lot and build such an island in there. It can be flat and sitting on water, or a hovering island that floats in the air. We develop it in the kingdom, improve it there, and whenever we get a new darklands, we copy the current version of it to the new darklands.

How does that sound?

I will roll with what ever is decided.  I expected that at some point the darklands would reset.  So what ever is easiest for you to do.

Well the easiest thing for me would be to let you build it over and over and delete it with every new update again.

If you are up to that, because you maybe want to build new stuff each time on a new environment (the seed always changes), then we keep it as it is.

However, I think it would be worthwhile to build something permanent, and continuously improve it over time, we can do a setup as described above. It would be more in the spirit of the server to keep stuff over a long time and to improve on it.

I really don't care too much, either way.

I like the idea of creating a new spawn every time, and having it distinct and beautiful.  Plus, less work for Uncovery is always preferable - he's doing so much already to keep things going.  I originally thought this post was regarding the next darkland spawn and not our current one!  Vixen's just too good at being productive to keep up ;)

Aside from that, did you mean the spawn would always be an island?  That would be fairly annoying.  You can't place a boat within the spawn, so it'd be a lot of swimming!  Plus, once copy/pasted into the new darklands, the edges always look a little funky and biomes blend poorly.  Consistency would be better if it were reset every time.

Its not just me doing work in the darklands.  There are many others too.  One that I should mention is DokotaCory1621.  I may of help get the area started but he is the one that took the spawn area to a whole new level.  He was the one that gave it a face lift and use all the stonebrick.  I slowed down in the spawn area when it officially became the new darklands and Dokota took over.  He did all the planing and pulled a few back in to help with some but he was the that did a lot of what one sees now when they go into the darkland's spawn.

There were so many others that did a lot of work too.  Everyone should get credit.  From time to planning to donating material a lot of people worked on that area.  In fact Daiyamondo was the one to start.  He had planted a small wheat farm in that area that was turned into the one story farm.  Others gave potatoes, carrots and other plants to make it bigger.  It was all of us that put the darkland's spawn and the skyways together.

In the Darklands there is a building that is for material for the walls that were to go around the spawn area. (That is on hold for a bit now.)  Next to it is a open Greek like temple I made.  I think that it would be a good building to dedicate to every one that had a part in building in the darkland's spawn.  When you get time please go there and put your name on one of the columns.  If any one wants to spruce it up a bit too then go for it.  If it was not for everyone then the area would not look as good as it does.  Thanks all.

Well if we do not want extra work or terraforming around the area next time, the spawn  would have to be either floating in the air or on water. We could build something like a building or standing on pillars like an oil rig, or anything else that does not need to be integrated block by block in the environment each time. You can place boats build a pier to the edges or similar things. This is exactly aimed at making the area fit into the surrounding.

Making a simple but nice border.  Made of a high double line of leaves with vines hanging down.  Will add some jungle trees along it too.  Some thing simple. easy to see, and easy to go through.  Best thing is that if a creeper explodes the vines will grow back so no repair work needed.   Any help is welcomed.