Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I have access to a potential 8GB server addition to Uncovery

Hi there! I'm not exactly very active on the server, but I do have access to a server based in Germany that Unc seemed somewhat interested in using (it'd be free of charge, I really like what he's doing with his server).

The Specs are:
8GB of RAM
8 Threads (whatever that means)
200mb up/down speeds (carries 100 players or slightly more)
Full Read/Write Access
Latest Craftbukkit.jar
Based in Germany with Hetzner

My question is, what could that extra RAM/space/slots be used for on the server? If it seems reasonable, I will give access to Unc and we'll go from there.

cyanide, thanks for the offer!
I will have to think about what to use this for. Considerations:

1) The only way to use this would be with an additional server connected back to this one. Everything that I run now on my server is already supplied or would not be helped with remote hardware (I need a faster CPU for example). Either we would do something that we cannot run at the moment because of the CPU limits or we outsource some of the stuff we do now to get more headroom here.
2) I am very protective when it comes to custom code or databases. Whatever would run on that server would not get any code beyond what is needed to connect back to the main server and would need to be limited enough to prevent downloads of important portions of the database (i.e. User DB etc)
3) The connection from the current server to that server would need to be fast enough to avoid lag in communicating between the databases

So the most obvious option would be to run another server that needs much less code (i.e. no shops etc) and that does something that needs more CPU than I would be able to offer on the current server. The advantage of running an additional CPU would be that we could crank up visibility distance, mob limits.

One option would be to run some kind of extended Darklands on it. Chat would be connected, user levels and deposit could likely be connected too. The challenge would be to find something that is worthwhile the effort. I am not sure how much effort it would be to manage that however. One would have to test that.

That said, another user made a similar offer some days ago while I was busy with the crashes, and I have not followed up with that one yet either.