Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Karma + and - Plugin

So recently I've noticed a few problems with the Karma + and - Plugin system, but these aren't problems like bugs or stuff, but making other users feel angry about the system.

Yesterday I was playing with Kuntawar and I noticed his karma was - and I asked him why. He said that he accidentally said "rape" instead of "shear" his sheep. People apparently got mad at him and - karma'd him. I've noticed this issue with a few other users. Kuntawar said he can't win a contest now because no one will supposedly vote for him.

Another issue with it is that Kuntawar also said "Now that I have - Karma, no one will vote for me in contests so I won't ever win. I may just leave the server permanently." Although I'm not entirely sure if this is what he said and meant exactly, but from my perspective this is what he said. It's not exact, but I'm putting it in different terms to make it easier to understand. This is one issue to the Karma plugin.

I've noticed other users are upset about having - karma, as of I got -2 karma from 2 users, and I have no idea from whome, and I'm okay with that, but I was a bit upset since I had -2 karma, when I'm trying my hardest for people to karma + me because I'm trying to be nice.

I also feel sorry for some users who have - karma, because I think of them as some of the nicest users in the game. But then again, that's my opinion, and I'm not entirely sure about one another's opinion.

This karma plugin is a good and a bad thing. Some users leave the server because they're upset they have - karma, and also see some other users with over 10+ Karma. I feel happy for those with 10+ karma, but some others can be jealous of them.

Please leave feedback and suggestions about this karma plugin. I'm not sure we should remove it because some users are feeling unhappy about their karma, or keep it.

I have also noticed bad things about karma watching over Xec's shoulder. She was trying to get Meatball's attention, but he was AFK and she did not know. After several attempts to get his attention, she - karma'd him and continued mining. He finally answered and apologized for his nonexistence, but she did not undo her karma. I think that a lot of people's negative karma comes from their lack of convenience to other players, regardless of how much time separates the negatives. I think that time should somehow play a part in a player's karma so that this kind of thing doesn't happen.

I see your point. That may be why we should log off every time we go AFK, so people don't think you're simply ignoring them, or tell them you're AFK.

Ah there is an AFK function set in the server already. I reset his karma back to 0.
As for the karma deal with Kunt, all I can say is that you were not there Pilot. I was there at the time it occurred and spoke to him in PM about it. - karma shouldn't affect voting for a contest. The Elders are supposed to be fair.
I'm not a big fan of the system, but the karma is one if the servers aspects I mostly ignore. If a person wants to leave over the - karma they have, that's up to them.

I don't look at anyone differently because of a few karma points here or there. Oh, you have 2 karma? Great. Oh, you have -2 karma? That's fine.

If you have -10 karma, then something is up. I wouldn't get around to being too sad or too happy with how much/little karma people have. If you help someone, just ask them in a PM: "I hope I helped you, I'd appreciate some karma if you'd be willing!" .

And I can confirm on behalf of myself and other Elders, karma does not influence voting whatsoever. How a build looks has nothing to do at all with that player's karma.

Yes, that is true, Xecaria and HenMeister. People dislike Kuntawar now that he said rape instead of shear, so he's convinced not many people will vote for any entry he's placed in a contest.

I think this is blown out of perspective into different directions.

• I think the comment "raped my sheep" is quite immature, offensive and deserves a - karma. No matter what people think while they do stuff, it matters what they say. If you step on my foot, it hurts no matter if you do it by accident or purpose. On the internet and in a crowded room you have to be more careful what you say.
  • As said before, 1 or 2 - karma do not mean anything in the long run. For today, you feel bad to have gotten them, and that's the goal of the system. But when you look at the whole list, who cares? We have over 600 active users. 2 not liking you is  0.3% of the active, not to mention the inactive ones. Who would care about that? We have to be aware that we cannot be loved by EVERY PERSON EVER. I have 7 points less karma than 2 other users. Still I do most for all people here to make the server run. What does THAT say? Do I loose sleep over that? No.
  • If you think that people will check the karma of every user they vote on during the contests, and then say "oh, this guy got not only +4 karma but also 2-5 karma (as kuntawar currently) on the server, so I won't or will vote poorly on him", I guess you completely overestimate the users efforts to do this stuff. Would you do that yourself? Look at the past contests, many of them have 10+ entries, some over 20. It's already enough work to vote on them, let alone cross-check those with the karma record.
  • Also regarding the contests: Everyone can vote, yes. But the elders and specially my vote has a much higher impact. A settler has a vote weight of 1 point. I have 10. And I do not look on the karma. So even if one settler would go through the karma and then vote poorly, his will be quite easily offset by my vote.
  • Life is about learning. And minecraft even more so. I have followed many users on the way from Guest to Master or Elder and their building skills as well as social interactions. If you want to find a community where you can drop in and be loved by everyone eternally no matter what you do, you better talk to your parents. They will do that for you. The rest of the world will sometimes like you and sometimes not. You are alive to live and learn and improve. Start with a noob tower and a dirt hut and end winning a survival contest. Start by making a few people frown and then to make a lot of friends who know you and don't care that someone gave you some bad karma some time ago.

That all said I think it is fair to remove all karma entries of people who do not have a lot anymore or who are banned. If someone is not active on the server, their karma should not count into other people's records.

I am not liking the system of karma. Based on the comments above, I feel that this 'karma' is only hurting people. You may think that this is biased because I'm at the bottom of the list, and I'm mad. But, I haven't to my knowledge done anything that would earn the public's hate. I mean really. I think people are just giving me negative karma because they think it's fun to watch my number go down more and more. I feel that this is a bad idea, and should be removed immediately. As of this post, my karma is -20. I am willing to bet that it will be even lower by the end of this week. The only thing I can really think of that would earn me negative karma was closing my Flatlands lot and getting an Empire one.

So to sum it all up,

People hate me.
This plugin is a very bad idea.
I hope you all take in to consideration what I have said.

For all of you who have given me negative karma because I was at the bottom of the list, find something productive to do. Don't waste your time on me.

-admin_keylar, the dude at the bottom of the freaking list.

I agree with the Kuntawar situation. I fear I have no chance of doing anything because people think I'm a bad idea.

You had your account compromised due to having your password set to "password" - according to your own words. So either you are lying or have an issue with account sharing - both bannable issues.

It does not look like to me that the system is not working.

You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time.  But you can not please all of the people all of the time.  Meaning no matter what one does most likely at least one person will not be happy.  Just follow the rules and have fun.  There will always be someone that decided to give - karma just because you said one bad word, or made one mistake, or did not agree with one person.  For those people there is no making them happy unless some one else is unhappy.  No matter what good you did before or  after for those people they will never forget that one little thing.  Also if you make one person mad that has a good size group of friends then they all give you a -.

Many people do not know about Karma.  When one starts talking about it in chat or in the forums then people find about Karma.  Then those people start having fun with Karma.  I have noticed after it is brought up that Karma goes up/down for many people.

You can let having a - Karma effect you, be in a unhappy mood and let it effect your game play.  Or you can say meh and keep having fun.  As long as you do not break the rules then don't worry about it.  Kick back, relax, get some fresh homemade chocolate chip cookies and hot coffee and have fun building on minecraft.  Also as more people join Uncovery that will be that more people to make friends with and get + Karma from them.

I found this on YouTube for everyone.  It is one of my all time favorites.  The song "Don't Worry.  Be Happy."  I looked to see if there was a minecraft version and could not find one.  :(  On the bright side... Robin Williams is in this video.  YEA.  Never seen the video before now.  So kick back and have fun watching.  Thought this you be good for here.   MMmmmm  if someone is good at making videos for minecraft this song might be a good one to use.  Hint hint.  Big HUGS to all and Happy Building.