Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

People expecting to get rank

I have been seeing some unhappy talk today and I had to say something.  I will not name names but you people know who you are and should be ashamed of yourselves.  People are unhappy and are expecting to get ranked up.  One said that they helped out so much with the skyway and helping other people that if they did not get ranked that they would be pissed.  Yes they used that word.  One does not help people expecting to get a rank.  One does not work with others on builds in the Darklands to get ranked.

Give me some time on this to put my words down.  Sorry just really not happy with people thinking this way.  I am trying to put this down without making anyone mad but know that I will.  ONE helps because they want to and it makes them feel good.  ONE builds on group projects because it is fun.  ONE does not help and expect to get payment in returned.  To volunteer to help and give items and then expect payment in return is not helping.  I fear that in the future that some people will be helping only in the expatiation of being rewarded.  Then when they do not get it I fear what they might do in anger.

At first I thought that the rank up a day was great but the gripe fest going on is tainting it.  I am willing to give up my rank and that we go back to the ranking from contests and such.  Forget about the rank up a day.  People should be happy for the ranks that others are getting.  Instead I see stuff like, "I better get ranked or I will be ....".

I was never looking to get ranked up.  I love helping people.  If I get a wave or thank you well I am happy.  If not then I am still happy because I helped someone because I wanted to.  I do not expect anything in return but hope that they will help someone else in return.  I loved doing the group builds in Darklands.  That was the first time that I worked with other people, besides family.  It was so much fun.

I am here to build, have fun, and make friends.  One of the main reasons why I came to this server was that ONE must earn their rank.  Other servers have it where you can buy your rank.  If you are expecting to get a rank then go to one of those buy a rank servers.  But do not gripe, whine, and complain that you should be ranked because you expect it.  All it makes you look like is a spoiled shallow whinny little kid.  Think what Uncovery would think if he saw you saying that you expect a rank.  I do not think that would make him rank you.

To anyone who feels the way Vixen is describing,

All of the ranks were carefully considered by Uncovery, who always decides all ranks, and approved by all of the Elders, which is merely a courtesy Uncovery extends to us,  in case we had objections.  We also had the opportunity to suggest people.  So if you think you earned it, at least one Elder should have noticed.  Doing lots of ranks over a month in this way does not in some way make everybody entitled to a rank.

As Uncovery puts it on the "Bans" page, when you join this server you are given an advance of trust from Uncovery and from our community.  We are letting you play with us, assuming you will be a valued member of our community unless and until you show otherwise.  If you help out and build and are polite, great!  You fit in.

That does not make you entitled to some kind of reward as a rank up.  Uncovery decides if you've earned a rank up.  If you are "pissed" because he doesn't give you a rank up, you should show yourself out.  That kind of entitled behavior is exactly the kind of stuff we don't put up with here, and it will save us the trouble of banning you for it later...

Really, all of our bans can come back to this issue of entitlement.  I curse and use caps because I'm entitled to express myself when I'm angry.  I ask for help constantly because I'm entitled to using other people's time and knowledge for my convenience.  I use X-ray because I'm entitled to more diamonds.  Etc.

The world does not owe you a living.  The server does not owe you a rank-up.  Take a hike.  Let Vixen and everyone else who earned their rank-up enjoy it, don't make them feel bad.

Mom mode engaged!

I totally agree. Just becuase you helped with something means little with ranking. If you want to rank up with builds, win a contest in your division. Else, be noticed by higher users. If you are a good builder and not getting ranked up, join a contest. We don't give them out willy-nilly. You have to deserve them. Ranking up to Architect without a contest means that you deserved it more than your building skill. When you rank up like this, we are acknowledging that your character and morals are perfect for the position.

-Hiosa

Aeh.... ok. Pretty much what Azkedar said. But just to confirm:

If you think that you have ANY right to be promoted but are not (yet or later) and therefore are angry, please leave the server. We do not want you here. You first of all do not even have the right to play here, since it's (sorry to say, but hey, it's a fact) MY server. You are only "let in here".

And also, remember that rank doesn't mean respect. Not all people high up are respected people, some are, and some aren't.

As Sockso says it, we're all just a group of "orangeys."

And to be quite honest, everyone is equal on the server in my book. I'm no better than any Settler, and vice versa. Just because higher ranks have more abilities doesn't make us any better. People earn ranks. Whenever you join the server you are entitled to... nothing! Be awesome, be humble, be happy you are among such other awesome people! But above all just be nice. Being nice takes you a long way. Saying "Hey, what's up?" in chat goes further than you think. Good day!

I have a dream!  A dream where builders are judged not on the color or their name, but on the content of their lots!

In all seriousness, though, as an orangey, I don't pay much attention to rank.  Only how nice and fun you are, and to a lesser extent, how nice and fun you builds are.

As this is a server with a mature, friendly community, I think that everyone from our "welcome!"-spammed guests to Unc himself  is shown a great amount of respect.  To play on Az's comment- those who feel over-entitled or show lack of respect for others quickly lose the respect of the community, and are removed.  I don't think that rank means MORE respect than the individual has already earned for themselves by being who they are.

I completely agree with everyone above me, and I have a piece of advice.

If you feel like you should get a rank up because you did something awesome,

1. Don't say it, that would even decrease the chance you get ranked up.

2. Instead think like this: I have done something awesome, yet I didn't receive a rank up. That means what I did wasn't "awesome enough" to receive a rank up. I should do more awesome and have fun in the process.

There have been times in the past where I felt bad about only being a blueey, even after all this time playing. But then I started thinking about what I had actually done. I hadn't built anything awesome. I had been inactive for weeks on end, months even, only logging in to keep my lot from being reset.

And yes, I had helped people. Yes, I had done my best to be friendly. I had been "awesome" in some ways, but not "awesome" enough. But I had had fun. Tons of it. You don't play on this server to receive a rank up. You play on this server to have fun above all else.

I agree with inQuish, I help people all the time. All I expect is a "Thanks!" or a karma maybe. I have fun on this server even if I am a settler. This is the best server no matter what rank you are, so just enjoy it.

As I think everyone would agree, the Uncovery community is more of a family than a server. We help each other and others help us, it's just how it goes. So just help and build and do what you want, a higher rank isn't keeping you from building your dream.

I agree with everyone else here. i have been a citizen for over a year, and i love it :) i have never expected to get ranked up from here either. as a citizen i feel like everyone respects me as much as they respect masters and elders. asking for a rank is what kids do, and we are NOT kids are we? i dont feel like on. and with all respect to uncovery and all players, this IS the best server ever.

and remeber guys. noone cares what rank you are on this server. they respect you for you, not for having and orange or red color on your name. i also donated on this server yesterday. not for getting a rank, but because i want this server to exist. uncovery is doing a great job about this so dont get mad just cause your a citizen or a settler :) keep playing and have fun :P

see you on ;)

Wow! Wouldn't have thought of finding this kinda behavior here! Glad that seems to be history.

I completely agree with everyone above, and I wanna add that it's not only not belonging here, but also very dishonest and rude to expect something at all for doing something, without saying it out in advance. And to even think that someone expects a rank, and gets mad if they don't get it, wow. Those buy-everything servers seem to fit better for those who recognize themselves from the above texts.

I for one am most of the time ready to help those who need it, and to tell you in advance if I want something in return. That's called honesty. And that's how we roll here I think.