Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Possible Solution to the Mob Freezing Issue

Hi all! I'm sure that many of you who've been playing on the survival worlds (DL, Emp, Kingdom) and possibly elsewhere have noticed a strange issue that's been plaguing the server for a little while. This is, of course, the issue of entity freezing. Shot arrows rebound and freeze, mobs stop moving randomly, and players get ejected off horses all over the server as a result. This has been very annoying, and has personally cost me several of my pets. So, after some quick Googling, I came upon a possible solution.

In Minecraft version 1.9 and later, the DynMap plugin used to generate the 3D maps of Minecraft worlds has been causing some issues for players on various Minecraft forums. These issues are exactly the types of issues we've seen on the server, as seen here:

https://github.com/webbukkit/dynmap/issues/1916

I propose temporarily disabling DynMap to see if this action has any effect on the issue at hand. DynMap isn't exactly a vital part of the server's infrastructure (probably), so hopefully it won't be too difficult to take it out for a short time.

-KotP

I have put in quite a few hours since 1.9, mostly in DL setting up new areas for use, so lots of mobs involved. I also rode a mule quite a lot while helping with the DL rail project. I haven’t noticed any significant mob freezing and have never been put off my mount. I’m wondering if you’re experiencing local lag.

The thing is, the 3D maps don't cover the darklands. This issue only manifests in chunks being mapped, so the DL should be unaffected. As much as I'd hate to see the map go as well, the issue isn't just localized. VixenGold and LukeCreative have been experiencing it in Kingdom as well.

Well I would like to get a picture from users how big this frozen mob issue actually is and how much it affects gameplay. I know that a LOT of people are constantly looking at the dynmap while playing, so I want to make sure we do not replace a small issue with a bigger one.

I have put in quite a few hours since 1.9, mostly in DL setting up new areas for use, so lots of mobs involved. I also rode a mule quite a lot while helping with the DL rail project. I haven't noticed any significant mob freezing and have never been put off my mount. I'm wondering if you're experiencing local lag.

I'd hate to see the map disabled.

In the long page, https://github.com/webbukkit/dynmap/issues/1916, some people think it could be caused by Spigot, a few think it is the update that caused it. Many think it is caused by the map.

I did not notice these mobs freezing before the 1.9.2 update. I first had an issue with popcorn blocks on my empire lot. I would log off a bit and come back on and it would stop. I noticed this mostly on LukeCreative's lot. One of the issues was with sand. At some spots, the sand would keep dropping and going back up, popcorn blocks. It would spread to the blocks next to it if I tried to dig up the next block. I would just pass these spots up and come back later and most of the time it stops. Sometimes I would just cover the spot up with dirt and just ignore it.

Then it started happening with the mobs. The freezing of mobs, animals and arrows. When several people were together, we would need to all get off the game for about 10 to 15 seconds, for the mobs to unfreeze. Sometimes it would take a bit longer. As if the chunk needed to unload for the mobs and blocks to stop freezing.

I do not know what is causing this. Even reading all the stuff on the page that King posted. That stuff goes over my head. BUT I did not see any of this start happening until we had the update to 1.9.2. I have noticed this going on in Kingdom and Empire. I have spent a lot of time in the Darklands and Aether and have not seen or heard of any of these issues going on there. I think this is only going on in Kingdom and Empire.