Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

TeamSpeak Music Room

Okay, so I heard that Uncoverians have been talking about creating a music chat room in TeamSpeak so that they can listen to their favorite tunes while playing their favorite game, but there is a problem with getting music from everyone, and sharing it on TeamSpeak. Well, I think I have a form of a solution.

Firstly, people would have trouble choosing songs from someone's iTunes library, and YouTube is just too clunky.  But with a program called turntable (-turnable.fm- forum doesn't allow for links for some reason), everyone one can give their song choices, and downvote and upvote good/bad songs.  Also it is completely free, so there is no cost to the server for this service.

Secondly, we may need something to stream it through.  I have two solutions for this. There are multpile music streaming bots that people using Teamspeak can download and use to play it through TeamSpeak.  I feel like this may not be optimal, because it is up to the users to download it and set it up, but it IS a solution, and it has the bonus that it can be configured to turn down in volume whenever someone speaks in Teamspeak.  People would also need to turn off the volume on the Turntable so that there wouldn't be echo.  The other solution to this is to simply have everyone turn on their turntable and NOT use a music bot.  The advantage to this is that there is no user setup.  The disadvantage is that people would need to turn down their volume or put in headphones to avoid echo.

Hopefully this works, I look forward to everyone's feedback.

Okay, I will try to look for a solution to that.  Would this client be running turntable, a fixed music playlist, or radio?

EDIT: I posted this before your edit. What do you mean by "command line tool"?

When everyone has to have their own music, we are back at individuals playing their own stuff.

Se we would have to have another bot as a user account that streams music into the server. Then real users can mute that bot if they do not have headphones or if they do not like it. The question is where this bot would be running. And this is the issue that we basically got stuck on.

Some computer has to be running permanently and streaming. For that to happen on the server, I would need a headless linux client faking the user. The server however does not even have a sound card, and you would need that along with a software for a virtual audio cable to re-direct music played from a command line tool into a streaming service.

There is some information here: http://forum.teamspeak.com/archive/index.php/t-54646.html but this requires installing X on the server and I am just afraid that this is FAR too much effort and ram/cpu vastage for the few people we have on TS.

I found this here, but they ask for 2.50 EUR a month, and do not even tell you the requiements: http://ts3musicbot.appcoin.de/index.php

They are based on this here: http://addons.teamspeak.com/directory/tools/miscellaneous/JTS3ServerMod-Multifunction-TS3-Server-Bot.html But I am not sure how this works at all. If you get this one running to stream music, be it from files or stream on a headless root server - be my guest.

Nevermind, I see what you mean.  Thank you for the feedback, I'll take a look at these and see what I can do.

I would almost suggest a radio. Once people can choose music, it's a nightmare once they actually do change.

Also please see I edited the text above several times, there might have been an overlap with your reply.