Forum

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGame: General Minecraft TopicsUsernames
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Usernames

I read that Mojang plan to allow username changes in the future. I was wondering if it would affect being able to log into a server. Does anyone know?

Believe that's a question for uncovery to answer.

good question. Most likely this is an issue we have to deal with somehow. We have a unique User ID for every user, such as "UUID of player psiber is c948a581a1f64c00b440f0038e7a1fea", which is written to the console on every login.

The problem is that the current system assumes on many levels that the in-game username is the same as the website username. Also, all plugins, made by ourselves or by 3rd parties work on the username and not on the UUID. So a user that changes their username in-game would loose EVERYTHING they have. Their lot, their inventory, money, userlevel.

If users changes the username and has only one email address, they would have to login to the website, delete their account there and register a new one.

The only way to deal with this, would be to change EVERY single bit of code to switch from using the username to using the UUID, including the website username. we would then need to use the wordpress "display" name to show something readable.

So until ALL 3rd party plugins have upgraded to stop using the username but instead use the UUID, I will not change anything since it would not help. then, in case that happens, we have another issue:

Unless we have a possibility to lookup the UUIDs of ALL present and past users, we cannot do a "big upgrade". We would know the UUID only once a user logs in. We would have to change all code to user UUID and then update all tables each time a user logs in and through this communicates the UUID...

So I started now to collect usernameUUID pairs from the logfiles, I have 4000 already and will collect new ones as they come in every day to make sure just in case there is no lookup service that we have data to use.

Unc, is this post useful?

Web/HTTP
You can use Mojang's AccountsClient or make a HTTP POST request to
https://api.mojang.com/profiles/page/1
with
Content-Type: application/json
and a JSON body like this:
{"name":"redstone_sheep","agent":"minecraft"}
You will get a JSON response like this:
{"profiles":[{"id":"ae795aa86327408e92ab25c8a59f3ba1","name":"redstone_sheep"}],"size":1}

Yes, this is helpful! I was thinking they would do something like that.

If people can change their usernames at will, I won't if something will be implemented to keep usernames unique. This could otherwise cause a lot of confusion and difficulty.

If people can change their usernames at will, I won't if something will be implemented to keep usernames unique. This could otherwise cause a lot of confusion and difficulty.

Yeah. I don't really like the idea of people switching usernames. I can most likely though force the in-game username to be fixed. One could display the original username in a suffix for example.