Regarding the maps and their future, I made the following decisions:
- Once 1.9 comes out with a map generator that has snow & tundra biomes, I will generate a new world called “city”. We will create a new city there and copy the buildings from the current world over. That world will also have different sub-cities such as Egyptian in the desert, Snow towns, mushroom towns, Ewok-like tree cities etc etc, all in their respective biomes. It will be planned and contest-driven as the city was before. It will be a tourist-world where people can submit buildings anytime in all styles there are to enlarge it.
- That city will remain the spawn world. People will get to other worlds through portals.
- I will create also a new world to replace the current world with lots that are chunk-sized (16 multiple) instead 100×100. So instead of re-generating lots I will be able to delete the underlying chunks along the borders of the chunks which should be easier. This means lots will most likely be 112×112 blocks large. Not a big difference, but it will make things (hopefully) easier.
- Instead of ever deleting a map, we will allow people to regenerate/delete their lots as we are doing now. Like that can keep existing maps, change the seed and as such make sure that we do not have a 10k wide ocean beneath us. I hope that this technically works. If not, we will have to come up with another solution. I will try to test this process in the coming weeks. The issue would be that we have always some funny structures and cliffs on the map. Seeing how people flatten whole mountains we have that anyhow however.
- The kingdom will stay as it is. If we want to expand it, we will use tools to smoothen the landscape borders. There are such tools already available. They place rivers between the borders to make them less apparent.