We will deal with the 1.4 update (we are currently on version 1.3.2) just the same way we dealt with former updates. Here a short wrap-up for those who do not know:
- All the new cool features of 1.4 (anvils, beacons etc) will not work until we have 1.4 installed.
- In order to install 1.4, we need to make sure that the server software we are using (bukkit) and all the important plugins are upgraded and work fine with it. Until all the plugins are updated, it can take any time from 3 days until 4 weeks. We do not know.
- Once we will move to 1.4, all your possessions and lots will be transferred along. You will not lose anything.
- In the meantime, while we wait for everything to be 1.4 ready, I will start a parallel temp 1.4 server on a different port. Anyone will be able to play on the temp server, but there will be no protection (it will be similar to the darklands). The temp server will have a new map with only one world (+nether & end) and with only limited plugins (no shop etc), if any at all.
- You can choose if you want to play 1.3.2 with all your current builds and protection OR on 1.4 with the new features, but w/o proper protection and in a new world. In order to stay on 1.3.2, it is important that you do NOT upgrade your minecraft client when asked to do so. Once you upgrade, you cannot re-download the 1.3.2 version from legal sources. You can however keep 1.3.2 on your computer with a tool and run 2 versions at the same time with a special tool. I recommend to install those BEFORE 1.4 comes out: Use MC Jar switcher or Magic launcher.
- The world that we create for the temp 1.4 will likely become the new darklands in the future – as announced. The current darklands might be removed. Since there will be new features in the 1.4 version (such as silverfish spawning in the hills biomes along with a higher frequency of emeralds), we want to make a use of that. I also think that it would be good to reset the nether which looks more like a minefield by now.
- Inventory of your player that you carried while playing on the 1.4 temp server will be lost when we upgrade the 1.3.2 server to 1.4. If you stashed stuff on the map, it will be in the upgraded server as the new darklands. Whatever you had on the (current) old darklands will be gone. Same for the nether.
- Regarding the new control blocks, it is unlikely that those will be available since they allow admin-only functions.
If you have questions, please ask them ASAP so that there are no regrets for lost stuff once we upgrade.