Forum

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumHelp: Bugs & Game issuesHunger Lag
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hunger Lag

I hate to be the party pooper to bring this up, but the Hunger Games are causing a significant amount of lag.

I chose this server as a result of doing a non-pvp search and trying out multiple places.  Uncovery was, by far, the best community with the best builds.  Now I find myself regularly near death due to server lag caused by a resetting hunger game.  I, personally, don't partake and probably never will.  I haven't been watching to see the ratio of people playing vs not playing, so I'm not sure whether or not I'm in the minority that feels slightly put out by the lag.  And I say slightly, because I wouldn't begrudge people having fun, nor would I object to the recent surge of people returning to play Hunger Games.

Hunger Games seems to be an anomaly to the server. No advantages come from what we do in the empire, and no builds from anywhere are used in it.  It's simply a pvp game for the sake of a pvp game.  With wearable heads.  Should this be just left to a different host and not part of Uncovery?

I find the lag annoying, but not nearly as annoying as the "HUNGER JOIN NOW" repeatedly in chat. Minecraft PvP is wholly uninteresting to me but many do seem to enjoy it. I think we can all tolerate a little annoyance for something that others find so enjoyable.

I've come up with a little bit of a coping strategy for it - and it might be useful to you as well. As soon as you see the announcement, just stop doing anything for about 30 seconds. If you break blocks, place them, etc. they will all revert anyway so there is no point in doing any of that. Ofc, if you are fighting off mobs you're likely to be dead after the lag and I don't see anything we can do about that on our end.

Would it be possible to send a hunger announcement about 30 seconds before the world is generated so we could prepare?

That's a good idea, enkl. It may be possible to delay the generation of a world for a time after the announcement. That seems like a sensible thing to attempt, so I'll look into it. So you would see the hunger announcement, and have 30 seconds to get somewhere safe or wall yourself in or similar before the lag hits.

The main alternative to this is going back to the old system where hunger resets would only happen during server reset, which has significant disadvantages from a server point of view.

It does, however, raise the interesting question of whether there should be a semi-permanent PVP world instead of hunger, as recently suggested in the "Harder Darklands" thread Hiosa started. The lag comes from world generation, so if we pre-generate a decently sized world just for PVP, the lag would go away. Of course, it would mean abandoning all of the work that Uncovery and I have put into making hunger work in the first place. I honestly have no idea what Uncovery's thoughts on that are.

I am in a similar frame of mind as I have died twice due to lag. To add insult to injury, the starter of the game quit because it wasn't a map they liked. As fun as they were, i don't think the hunger games are in the spirit of uncovery.

I do like the 30-sec wait and i would be willing to keep calm and carry on in that scenario

It seems like pvp has become a hot topic here lately.  Instead of looking inwards for a fix, why not look outwards? That is, find another server for pvp that we could go to if we get the cankering for it? I would be willing to help look for another server and it would be fun to go to another server and establish dominance as Uncoverites.  Faction Unc rules the world.

Oooo  like what Kevin said.  Find a PVP server and we form Team Uncovery.  We PVP people so hard that their bodies are unrecoverable.

UNreCOVERable

mind=blown