I am having trouble to get a working system with settlers and the public area going. Why? I mean the public area to be a place where people can mine, build and play around for a while before they need to go and read tons of rules about lots etc. I also wanted people to be able to go and mine for basics to get alive to their lot the first time.
You remember as it was before, we had a public area that was plundered, griefed and generally looked terrible. I could reset it, but regenerating a area larger than 100×100 is causing trouble technically. In the extreme case it will cause chunk fails outside the regenerated area. Also we started building the city, so the logical thing was to create a place that would regen itself.
So I created the temporary world, which is deleted once a week. This works fine, except that now some people stay peasant and work together with others settlers as miners on lots where they have permission. They basically use the temp world as a easy version of the darklands and abuse the system. It might also be that some people connect with 2 accounts from the same PC, one settler, one peasant to ease mining.
So the most probable solution is this here:
- remove the peasant status. give guests a kit they can get for walking around (minmal armor, stone sword, wooden sword) since they cannot get that otherwise
- remove the temp world completely
- integrate the questionnaires for guests and settlers into one
- generally disallow peasants to build in the normal world
- keep the temporary map so they can mine there instead of using kits
Solutions that DO NOT WORK:
- time-limit the peasant status (this requires annoying programming work, databases etc etc)
- regularly automatically regenerate a small area (if the chunk is not loaded, I get the above mentioned chunkfails)
Your opinion is requested here. I am not sure which one is the better solution or if there are alternatives.